Taxation affects us all. Notwithstanding the popular appeal of tax simplification, there is nothing simple about tax regimes around the world. Hunton & Williams LLP provides clear and creative tax advice to clients for their transactions and tax controversies, and with respect to tax legislation and administration.
In transactional matters, our strength is assisting the client in weighing complex and often competing legal, tax and financial accounting considerations so the client can make an informed decision about whether to engage in a particular transaction. Once the client decides to proceed, we advise on structure and review the transactional documents to assure that the agreed-upon structure is in place.
To meet the challenge of double taxation, we are constantly developing new ways to structure transactions in order to minimize entity-level tax, generate tax benefits or defer taxable gains.
Our individual tax lawyers are responsive and cost-effective. They are focused on specific areas of the law, with national preeminence in:
- structured finance and securitization
- real estate investment trusts
- renewable energy tax credits
- tax audits and litigation
- tax-exempt organizations, from family trusts and foundations to public charities and trade associations
- historic rehabilitation and low-income housing tax credits
- corporate mergers and acquisitions
- financial products
- project finance
- leveraged and cross-border leasing
- employee benefits, including qualified plans, executive compensation, and ESOPs
- state and local taxation
- private wealth advisory services, particularly in Virginia, North Carolina, and Texas.
In addition to serving tax clients directly, we work with our firm's corporate, securities and real estate lawyers to provide a tax perspective on their clients' financings, mergers and acquisitions and other transactions.
Other areas of our experience include:
- spin-offs and other corporate reorganizations
- corporate debt and equity offerings
- international tax planning
- partnerships and joint ventures
- venture capital transactions
- development of federal and state tax legislation, regulations and rulings
- business development companies and mutual funds
- natural resources
- public utilities
- inbound investments in stock, securities and real estate
- economic development incentives.