While the book value of real estate may fluctuate over time, one thing remains constant: the importance of real estate as a business asset. No matter where our clients sit at the negotiating table — as buyers, sellers, developers, investors, lenders, landlords or tenants — they must feel confident that their transaction is structured to protect their interests and enable them to achieve their business objectives.
The lawyers of Hunton & Williams LLP's commercial real estate practice group help clients negotiate, document and close complex real estate and finance transactions and obtain entitlements in complicated land use matters. Our partners are actively involved at every step of a transaction, and we provide clear, concise advice based on years of firsthand experience during economic booms and downturns alike. Equally important, we understand that the simplest solution is often the most elegant and effective; as a result, our legal counsel is both practical and sophisticated.
We advise clients on matters involving the full spectrum of commercial, industrial, retail, multifamily and mixed-use properties, with particular knowledge of complex and multijurisdictional transaction structures. We provide counsel in the following areas, among others:
- Acquisitions, dispositions and commercial leasing
- Real estate finance and commercial lending transactions
- Development and construction
- Commercial loan purchases and sales
- Natural resources development, production, management and distribution
- Troubled debt remedies and restructurings
- Real estate aspects of mergers and acquisitions, REITs and securitizations, and other corporate transactions
- Entitlements and other land use approvals and regulation
- Hospitals and other health care facilities
- Hospitality and leisure industry
- Foreign investments in US real estate
We recognize that few real estate investments or transactions stand in isolation; rather, they are closely interwoven with local, regional and national markets, economic cycles and regulatory developments. In order to provide coordinated solutions, we work closely with lawyers from the firm's tax, environmental, securities, structured finance and securitization, intellectual property, technology and other practice areas.