Michael is a member of the firm’s energy and infrastructure team. His transactional experience includes a variety of complex structures relating to the development, construction, finance acquisition and disposition of energy and infrastructure assets, including electric generating facilities (fossil fuels and renewable sources), natural gas pipelines, offshore drilling platforms, oil refineries and industrial equipment. In addition to his energy transactional experience, Michael has experience in a broad range of lending and structured finance transactions, with particular experience in leveraged acquisitions and buyouts.
Acquisitions and Dispositions:
- Represented a consortium of Japanese investors in the purchase of a 645 megawatt merchant combined cycle, gas-fired power generating facility located in New York.
- Represented a financial investor in its bid to purchase a 1,767 net megawatt power generation portfolio, including 1,000 net megawatt of capacity sold to the PJM Interconnection power market and 767 net megawatt of capacity sold to ISO New England.
- Represented a private equity fund in the auction and $720 million sale of a 512 megawatt gas-fired power generating facility located in New Jersey and a 7-mile transmission cable beneath the Hudson River.
- Represented a consortium comprised of an infrastructure fund and affiliates of a Japanese investor in bid to purchase a 943 megawatt natural gas-fired combined-cycle cogeneration project located in New Jersey that sells wholesale to PJM Interconnection and NYISO.
- Represented a private equity fund in the $475 million purchase of interests in 3,422 megawatt merchant coal-fired facilities located in Pennsylvania that sell wholesale power to PJM Interconnection.
- Represented a private equity fund in the “stalking horse” bid under Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code of a 305 megawatt coal-fired power plant located in Texas which was sold at auction for $126 million.
- Represented a private equity fund in the auction and sale of an interest in a 105 megawatt gas-fired cogeneration facility located in Texas.
- Represented a joint venture comprised of a Japanese financial investor and a leading insurance company, in connection with the leveraged acquisition of approximately 1000 MW of gas-fired power plants located in in Colorado, Idaho, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition, project financing and sale of approximately 140 megawatt of hydroelectric generating facilities in Maine.
- Represented a financial investor in the sale of a minority interest in a 100 megawatt biomass facility located in Florida.
- Represented a private equity fund in the leveraged acquisition of a 200 miles, 345-kv transmission line in New York.
- Represented a strategic investor with the acquisition of minority equity interests in a 396 megawatt wind power generation project, valued at $1 billion, under construction in Oaxaca, Mexico. Recognized as “Americas Wind Deal of the Year” by Project Finance International.
- Represented a joint venture comprised of affiliates of Japanese investors on the leveraged acquisition of interests in a portfolio of five gas-fired power plants located in the United States with capacity of approximately 4,800 megawatts.
- Represented a strategic investor in the formation of a $2.35 billion joint venture that owns a 5,000 mile natural gas pipeline and a 2,600 mile gas pipeline system and the subsequent sale of a portion of the joint venture interests to institutional investors.
Project Development and Finance:
- Represented a developer in connection with the development and equity investment by a private equity fund and a Japanese financial investor in a 1350 megawatt combine cycle gas-fired electric generating facilities constructed in Indiana that will sell wholesale power to PJM Interconnection and Midcontinent ISO.
- Represented tax equity investors in the $345 million construction financing of a 203 megawatt wind farm project in Texas.
- Represented a tax equity investor in the $228 million construction financing of a 138 megawatt (aggregate) wind farm project in Idaho.
- Represented a private equity firm with the $270 million construction financing of a 512-megawatt gas-fired power plant in New Jersey.
- Represented a developer in bid for $270 million construction financing of a 300-megawatt gas-fired combined cycle plant in Mexico.
- Represented a sponsor on a $310 million construction financing of a 600-megawatt gas-fired power plant located in New Mexico.