King is a member of the firm's regulated markets & energy Infrastructure team. He has acted as counsel in energy, environmental, natural resources, anti-trust, tax, tax-exempt bond and legislative matters before the U.S. Departments of Commerce, Energy, Interior, Justice, State and the Treasury, before the Federal Energy Regulatory, Federal Trade, Nuclear Regulatory and Securities and Exchange Commissions, in the courts and before Congress; he previously acted as Executive Director of the Securities and Exchange Commission, as Assistant Secretary of Interior for Energy & Minerals and was vice-president for government affairs and general counsel of a large, multi-state electric and gas public utility holding company.
- Handled state and federal administrative, regulatory and legislative aspects of utility partial spin-off, merger, restructuring and refinancing involving energy, competition, tax, nuclear power and securities matters.
- Participated in negotiated settlement of tax aspects of federal electric utility restructuring involving private-use problems of municipally owned utilities and transmission-divestiture problems of investor-owned utilities.
- Handled electric utility strategy in connection with state and federal regulatory restructuring proceedings and with current state and federal legislative restructuring proposals.
- Handled federal and state regulatory and legislative strategy for the full-power licensing of a nuclear power plant, its abandonment and transfer to a state agency for subsequent decommissioning and the sale of unused fuel.
- Participated as part of United States Delegation to Canadian Gas Pipeline and Omnibus Energy Treaty negotiations.
- Participated in Presidential Transition Team for Energy and Natural Resource issues and personnel.
- Participated on Energy and Resource Team in President's Private Sector Survey on Cost Control in the Federal Government (Grace Commission).
- Chaired Federal Project Independence Task Force on Oil Refining and Electric Generating Facilities.
- Acted as Federal Government Co-chair of the National Petroleum Council and of Agenda, Appointments and Conservation Committees.
- Participated as member of Department of the Interior Trans-Alaska Pipeline Task Force.
- Served as President, Yale Alumni Association of Louisiana and as representative on the Association of Yale Alumni.
- Served as Member of Board of Trustees of St. Mark's School, Southborough, Mass., and Chair of its Committee on Trustees. Serve as Member of the Corporation and advisor.